The Saltaire Collection holds a body of historical research generously donated over many years by local historians, many of them members of Saltaire History Club.
This research includes:
- Census data about those living in Saltaire from 1861
- Genealogical Studies of influential people in Saltaire’s History
- Timelines of Salts Mill’s
- Timelines providing a chronology of events in some of Saltaire’s buildings
- The annual Saltaire Conversazione
- Oral Histories of workers and residents
And MUCH more. Below are just three examples of research undertaken by Saltaire Historians.
THE LAND ACQUISITIONS OF TITUS SALT-IW-2018, Ian Watson
Catherine Salt, Born Crossley (1846-1930), Pauline Ford
Migrations to work in Bradford from the 1820s to the 1970s, Maggie Smith
For details of other research, please contact
- Saltaire History Club Via their Facebook page for information about their regular events and to make contact with local historians, Saltaire History Club
- For research articles published by Nemine Juvante (Saltaire) publications, for example David King’s work on Sir James Roberts, please contact saltairevillage.info/saltairejournals.
- For arrangements to visit and view research held in the collection, please contact the Saltaire Collection on firstname.lastname@example.org
Students from the UK and Europe have also donated research studies from time to time and Authors of published books have used the Collection for aspects of their work. Some useful books that provide background material for research are:
Balgarnie’s Salt: 2003, Rev. Robert Balgarnie, with commentary and additions by Barlo and Shaw, Nemine Juvante (Saltaire) Publications.
Salts Mill: Owners and Managers: 1853-1986, 2016, Smith & Coates, Amberley Publishing
Salt & Silver: A Story of Hope, (first published) 1997, J. Greenhalf, Salts Mill Estates Ltd.
Sir Titus Salt and Sons, A Farming Legacy, 2017, A Cattell, www.bingleyhistoryseries.co.uk
Milner Field: The Lost Country House of Titus Salt Jnr, 2013,R. Lee- Van Der Daele and R David Beale, Barleybrook Ltd.