The Exhibition Building opened in 1887, built by Titus Salt Jnr, Sir Titus’s youngest son, in memory of his father. The building costs were supposed to be covered by the Royal Yorkshire Jubilee, yet this failed to raise the required sum.
The Exhibition Building housed the Schools of Art and Science, after they had outgrown Victoria Hall. These schools eventually went on to become Shipley College, a further education college and important institution in Saltaire today.
The Saltaire Collection is housed inside the Exhibition Building and can be visited by appointment.