The Wesleyan Methodist Church that originally stood on this site was built in 1868 on land gifted by Titus Salt. The original church was demolished in 1970 due to its deteriorating condition. The current Methodist Church was built in 1971 and was subsequently modified to be more in keeping with the surrounding village.
Saltaire has survived into the 21st century remarkably unscathed. With the Bath and Wash Houses and the Congregational Sunday School, the Wesleyan Methodist Church is one of the few buildings to have been lost. Since Saltaire’s inscription on the UNESCO World Heritage List, they should also be the only ones.