Originally Saltaire Park, the 14 acre space opened in 1871 and was free for anyone to enjoy. The park was originally reached by a bridge from the end of Victoria Road, over the valley to what is now the West entrance, at the lodge. This bridge had to be demolished after World War II, due to damage caused by tanks crossing to use the area for manoeuvres.
Although provided for all to enjoy, there were strict rules enforced in the park. Among other things, political and religious demonstrations were banned, as were wheeled vehicles and unaccompanied children under 8.
After the Salt family were forced to sell the mill and the village, Sir James Roberts, the subsequent owner, renamed the park, Roberts Park – not after himself, but in memory of his son, Bertram Foster Roberts.