Along with the almshouses, Titus Salt also built an infirmary on the corner of Alexandra Square to care for the village residents. It had enough wards and beds for 27 patients, a dispensary and a surgery for treating workers injured in the mill.
Much of Salt’s philosophy was the catalyst for what became the welfare state. It is perhaps fitting that the hospital was taken over by the NHS in 1948. It was sold in 1974 and became a private nursing home.